Welcome to our list of arts and cultural events happening in the NSW Central West gathered from artists, event producers, great local venues and groups across the region. Use the contact or ticketing details listed with each event.
It’s free to submit your local events.
For maps and details of museums, galleries, artist studios, historic sites, Aboriginal experiences and sites, craft shops, handmade retail outlets or public art go to the Culture Maps Central NSW menu.
- This event has passed.
Sydney Writers’ Festival: Live & Local 2023 at Orange
Thu 25 May at 10:00 am - Sun 28 May at 5:00 pmFree
For the second year, Sydney Writers Festival returns to Orange in 2023 to bring the best of the Festival direct to you at the Orange Regional Gallery Theatre, hosted by Orange City Library.
One of Australia’s most loved forums for literature, ideas and storytelling, Sydney Writers Festival will live-stream headline events from Sydney to the Gallery for four days from Thursday 25 to Sunday 28 May from 10am to 5pm. We will also have a breakout area in the West Room.
Prepare to be invigorated and engaged by conversations, debates and discussions featuring some of the world’s finest writers and thinkers. Audiences can also participate in live Q&A sessions at each event, sending questions straight to the Sydney stage.
Sessions include talks from authors Jane Harper, Geraldine Brooks, Pip Williams and Barrie Cassidy.
Please book in for each session you wish to attend, and we will check you in on arrival at the theatre. All sessions are free, but please book your place to reserve a seat.
Click here for the 2023 Live & Local Program.
THURSDAY 25 MAY
- 10:00–11:00am: Jane Harper – Exiles
- 12:00–1:00pm: Richard Fidler – The Book of Roads & Kingdoms
- 2:00–3:00pm: Geraldine Brooks – Horse
- 4:00–5:00pm: George Monbiot – Regenesis
FRIDAY 26 MAY
- 10:00–11:00am: Bringing the past to life – Geraldine Brooks and Pip Williams
- 12:00–1:00pm: Eleanor Catton – Birnam Wood
- 2:00–3:00pm: Michael Kirby and Bo Seo
- 4:00–5:00pm: Colson Whitehead – Harlem Shuffle
SATURDAY 27 MAY
- 10:00–11:00am: A life in food – Stephanie Alexander and Maggie Beer
- 12:00–1:00pm: Crime and Justice – Helen Garner and Hedley Thomas
- 2:00–3:00pm: Great Adaptations – Eleanor Catton, Holly Ringland and Tom Rob Smith
- 4:00–5:00pm: Pip Williams – The Bookbinder of Jericho
SUNDAY 28 MAY
- 10:00–11:00am: Barrie Cassidy & Friends – The State of the Nation
- 12:00–1:00pm: Fifty Shades of Teal – Helen Hanes, Simon Holmes a Court and Margot Saville
- 2:00–3:00pm: Reckoning, Not Reconciliation – Stan Grant and Teela Reid
- 4:00–5:00pm: The Voice to Parliament: All the detail you need to know – Kerry O’Brien and Thomas Mayo
The What’s On calendar covers arts and heritage events happening across the NSW Central West in the local government areas of Bathurst Region, Blayney, Cabonne, Cowra, Forbes, Lachlan, Lithgow, Mid-Western Region, Oberon, Orange, Parkes and Weddin.
Event listings are sourced or supplied from local venues and arts organisations. Many events listed here have been originally shared by the organisers on social media. Whilst all care is taken – and accuracy is our priority – we can take no responsibility for date changes or the content of contributed information. Contact the event organisers listed for more details or to book tickets.
The best way to include your event is to use our SUBMIT HERE form (under the What’s On menu at the top of each page). These listings will be manually approved by the Arts OutWest team before publication. Please allow a couple of days for listings to be published. If you have submitted an event and want to make changes just email us at email@example.com
‘Featured events‘ are those submitted directly online by presenters.
Event promotors are asked to only include their own original images / images that they have permission to use / copyright free stock images. For more information see our fact sheet on Using Images For Promoting Events (if you can’t see this link look under ‘Opportunities’ then ‘Resources’).