Welcome to our BIG list of arts and cultural events happening in the NSW Central West.
- This event has passed.
Lithgow Just Transition Hub Workshops
Wed December 4 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
One event on Tue 12 November 2019, at 10:00 am
One event on Wed 4 December 2019, at 10:00 am
Lithgow is facing immense change. Industries are in transition, with legacy industries continuing alongside growing and emerging industries. The city and region are blessed with rich natural, cultural, and industrial heritage. Lithgow’s location amidst that heritage and between the east and west of the State makes it a prime site for future population growth and economic diversification.
These factors present an ideal opportunity to engage creatively with how Lithgow can establish and undertake processes of economic transition that enable the people and places of Lithgow to thrive – a Just Transition.
These workshops will build on the stakeholder workshop in May 2019 to develop the proposal for a Just Transition Hub onsite. There are six working groups that attendees can join to develop plans for programs and activities that will create a thriving future in Lithgow. Each working group will brainstorm its planned activities, resource needs, partners, and funding sources into a fully scoped proposal.
- Gateway to Wiradjuri. This is proposed as a collaborative program of Aboriginal community, business, and enterprise development, in recognition of the land’s original and ongoing stewards. This would also include opportunities for cultural competency and cultural awareness training. Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people are all welcome to help shape and take part in the vision and program.
- Lithgow Sprint. The Sprint honours Marjorie Jackson and proposes a strong, immediate start to the hub by starting to re-code the story of Lithgow through a highly public and visual program. It has two main streams: storytelling residencies and mentoring/workshops/forums using various forms of old and new media; and, a Pop-up Youth program, including Safe & Sober events for young people.
- Activate: Incubate. This is a direction focused on supporting and engaging with industry and business. It will encompass identifying and nurturing industries that are both regionally significant and emerging in the region. It will involve workshops, business-to-business networking, training and coaching, and co-working spaces, as well as spaces for TEDx talks, business pitches, etc. There are currently four focal areas: smart business and new tech/STEM; culturally led redevelopment; intellectual leadership and regenerative living; and, community activation to re-code Lithgow’s identity.
- Education for Life. Education for Life is concerned with identifying and addressing local education needs across various life stages, but especially with regards to school students and older demographics, whether facing retrenchment or retired. This recognises that the education needs of the region are changing in line with transitions from legacy industries to next-generation industries, which intersects with the emergence of the cultural industries, health, care, and STEM as growth areas. This focuses on the career paths and aspirations of young people and people facing unemployment as historical industries contract and change. There are also education needs that are driven by the overall ageing of the population.
- CHEERS. CHEERS is proposed as the Centre for Health Evolution and Education for Regional Sustainability. It will build on the activities and strengths of the key partner, LINC, to deliver holistic social services focused on the wellbeing of people across their lifetimes. There is immense potential to provide integrated, innovative, and supportive health and wellbeing programs that intersect with the education and incubation activities of the hub.
The What’s On calendar covers arts events happening across the NSW Central West. These events are sourced or supplied from local venues and arts organisations. Whilst all care is taken and accuracy is our priority we can take no responsibility for date changes or the content of contributed information. To contribute an event email us at firstname.lastname@example.org