Welcome to our BIG list of arts and cultural events happening in the NSW Central West gathered from artists, event producers, great local venues and groups across the region.
This is a busy artistic region. There’s usually more than 2000 arts and heritage events happeing in the region each year. Of course, 2020 looks a little different but the events are slowly returning where possible.
NEW: HAPPENING ONLINE. We’ve added a new category for workshops, exhibitions, virutal tours and activities that are now happening ONLINE. Click here for the listings
Got an event to add? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org
- This event has passed.
Illuminations at Bathurst Winter Festival
Sat July 4 - Sun July 19free
Those keen to see the illuminations can do so from the warmth of their own car. Just park across the road, turn your headlights off and watch buildings come to life in colour and sound. Use your radio to tune into the soundtrack that’s synced with the light show!
- Bathurst Court House – 94.2 FM – This installation explores the understanding of patterns and mathematics that underpins our understanding of the world and our place in it.
- 84 George Street – 89.1 FM – Housepainting – A collaborative video installation featuring the work of school students across Bathurst. Here they have screen recorded their colourings of this beautiful building. The soundtrack for this installation is provided by the Bathurst Academy of Music.
- Tremains Mill – 89.6 FM – Watch the light sequences dance across this historic building.
- 99 Keppel Street – 93.3 FM – MemoryPalace – The exterior of this historic landmark is transformed into a dynamic tapestry which explores colour, movement and the structure of the building. The soundtrack for this installation is provided by the Mitchell Conservatorium.
- 173 George Street – 88.4 FM – Magic Lanterns – The magic lantern was the earliest slide projector, first invented in the 1600s. Over the centuries they become a staple of entertainment throughout Europe and America. This installation, a collaboration with local musician Rob Shannon, references these fascinating devices. What can you see in the geometric patterns created by the lantern?
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery – 93.8 FM – A drop falls, ripples cascade over a body of water. Two figures appear, hand in hand in solidarity. A sun rises, and an all seeing eye/world sheds a tear. “Turn” is a set of looping animations featuring bold symbols to convey a message of healing, strength and acceptance. A WBYK artwork commissioned by BRAG and ESEM projects.
Doppio – 89.6 FM – Connections – A collection of 3D animations from the minds of the MacKillop STEM Club that range from the quirky to the heartfelt.
The What’s On calendar covers arts and heritage events happening across the NSW Central West. These events are sourced or supplied from local venues and arts organisations. Many events listed here have been originally shared by the organisers on social media. Whilst all care is taken – and accuracy is our priority – we can take no responsibility for date changes or the content of contributed information. Contact the event organisers listed for more details or to book tickets.
To contribute an event email us at email@example.com
For event promoters: If you are sending event details to Arts OutWest to promote through our Whats On (or likewise publishing events on social media) please only send us images you have permission to use. See our fact sheet on copyright infringement.