Welcome to our BIG list of arts and cultural events happening in the NSW Central West gathered from artists, event producers, great local venues and groups across the region.
This is a busy artistic region. There’s usually more than 2000 arts and heritage events happeing in the region each year. Of course, 2020 looks a little different but the events are slowly returning where possible.
NEW: HAPPENING ONLINE. We’ve added a new category for workshops, exhibitions, virutal tours and activities that are now happening ONLINE. Click here for the listings
Got an event to add? Email us email@example.com
- This event has passed.
Entries close: Young Archie Competition
Mon August 3Free entry
OUNG ARCHIE COMPETITION
Bathurst Regional Art Gallery
presented by ANZ
Budding artists between the ages of 0 and 18 are invited to submit a portrait for the Young Archie competition, as part of our family focused activities for the Archibald Prize regional tour.
The portrait should be of a person who is special to you — someone who is known to you and plays a significant role in your life.
This competition is now open for entries
Entries must be received by 5pm Monday 3 August 2020
Finalists will be announced on Friday 7 August 2020 and winners will be announced on Saturday 15 August
Finalists will be displayed in BRAG Saturday 15 August to Sunday 11 October 2020
There are four age categories:
• 0-5 year olds
• 6-10 year olds
• 11-15 year olds
• 16-18 year olds
About your portrait subject
We prefer that the portrait is ‘painted from life’ and that your subject has a sitting for their portrait, like with the Archibald Prize. You may also create the portrait from memory or take your own photograph to use for reference.
For schools and pre-schools
We strongly encourage you to first run your own internal competition then submit only your top works (maximum of 10) into the official Young Archie competition at BRAG.
The competition will be judged by the BRAG curatorial team based on merit and originality.
• Five finalists from each category will be exhibited at BRAG and on the BRAG website.
• One winner will be chosen in each category. Each winner will receive a prize provided by ANZ..
• One artwork only per entrant.
• You may use any art materials you like but your artwork must be two-dimensional and on good-quality paper so that it can be framed for display if you are a finalist.
• Can be vertical or horizontal.Must be no smaller than A4 (210 x 297 mm), no bigger than A3 (420 x 297 mm) and no thicker than 2mm.
• Should be clearly labelled on the back with which way it should be displayed, along with your name, age, school or preschool and contact details. Make sure this doesn’t show through the front.
How to Enter
• Download, print and complete the entry form by clicking here, which includes a brief statement (less than 50 words) telling us who you have chosen to depict and why. This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
• Your artwork should be sent flat, not folded or rolled. We suggest you place it between two peices of cardboard to protect it.
• Pick up of work is determined if it is included as a finalist in the exhibition, BRAG will notify entrants of time for collection. If to be returned via mail please include stamped and self-addressed envelope of the correct size.
• Entries can be hand delivered or mailed to The Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, 70/78 Keppel Street, Bathurst by 5pm Monday 3 August
For more information contact Julian Woods, Audience Engagement Officer, (02) 6333 6151 or email
IMAGE: Archibald Prize 2019 finalist CLARA FLETCHER Charge of the Star Goddess (((Del Kathryn Barton))) mixed media on linen 200 x 150 cm. Photo: AGNSW, Jenni Carter. Sitter: Del Kathryn Barton – artist
The What’s On calendar covers arts and heritage events happening across the NSW Central West. These events are sourced or supplied from local venues and arts organisations. Many events listed here have been originally shared by the organisers on social media. Whilst all care is taken – and accuracy is our priority – we can take no responsibility for date changes or the content of contributed information. Contact the event organisers listed for more details or to book tickets.
To contribute an event email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For event promoters: If you are sending event details to Arts OutWest to promote through our Whats On (or likewise publishing events on social media) please only send us images you have permission to use. See our fact sheet on copyright infringement.