The Copyright Agency Fellowship for a Visual Artist: Apply Now
The Fellowship will support an established Australian visual artist to develop and create an important new work in any medium that connects with audiences.
To be eligible to apply, the visual artist must have a contract with a commercial or public gallery to exhibit their work or a letter of intention to exhibit their work from a commercial gallery. This Fellowship will not replace any royalties and payments under the usual terms of a visual arts’ commission.
Applicants should submit a compelling project accompanied by support material to demonstrate their ability and artistic merit.
The successful applicant will agree to acknowledge the Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund in any publication or exhibition arising from the Fellowship.
Applications are assessed by a panel of independent peers.
Grant Amount: $80,000
One Fellowship will be awarded each year.
Projects must start after 1 January 2019.
Who can apply
- Applicants must have a substantial body of work with a minimum of ten exhibitions in public or commercial galleries, and at least five published critical or scholarly reviews of their work.
- Visual artists must submit their own applications. Galleries or representatives cannot apply on behalf of artists.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must have acquitted any overdue Cultural Fund grants.
How to apply
- You must apply via the SmartyGrants online grants platform.
- Applications must be submitted by the closing date via the SmartyGrants online system.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All applicants must provide a clear outline of their intended project. Your application must include a project description along with support material.
You must submit the following support material with your application as a PDF via the online system:
- A one-page synopsis of the proposed work.
- A sample of your work (up to 10 images).
- A one-page CV with a list of exhibitions.
- Letter of intent to exhibit from a curator or gallery.
Applications Close: Monday 24 September
Image: Mikala Dwyer received a $20,000 NAVA Visual Arts Fellowship for her major solo show
‘A Shape of Thought’ at the Art Gallery of New South Wales in 2017 (detail), supported by the Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund. Photo: Courtesy of the artist.