Aboriginal Arts Development Program: overview
Arts OutWest is building a dynamic Aboriginal Arts program across the NSW Central West.
The program is coordinated by the Central West Aboriginal Arts Development Officer is Aleshia Lonsdale. Aleshia is a Wiradjuri woman and the practicing visual artist, Tirikee. She is one of the Aboriginal Arts Development Officers across NSW networked via Regional Arts NSW.
This position is funded through the federal government’s Indigenous Visual Arts Industry Support (IVAIS) and ICS (Indigenous Cultural Support) programs of the Office of the Arts (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet).
Our Aboriginal arts development officer works closely with communities, supporting artists, helping people fulfill their career goals. This includes access to workshops in arts business and marketing skills, art techniques, taxation, copyright issues and more. Contact Aleshia if there’s an area of need in your practice you’d like assistance with.
The program includes:
- Support of Aboriginal artists, of all art forms, across the Central West region
- Creative Lab visual art development project (2014)
- The Kew Y Ahn Aboriginal Art Gallery at Hartley Historic Site
- Visual art exhibitions
- Arts and health program including Spread the Word
Past projects have included:
- 2011 Marramarra and 2012 Marramarra Bulla regional Aboriginal arts showcases
- Regional Aboriginal dance project (2010)
Aleshia Lonsdale works around the region (Monday – Friday)
Mobile: 0428 041 108